hi1

[Introduction] Romance of The Three Kingdoms

hi1   

Romance of The Three Kingdoms

full

A map inspired by Dynasty Warriors Series, Romance of Three Kingdoms Series, and Tiger Knight: Empire War

Background History

The setting takes place during the late Eastern Han Dynasty in 190AD, an era that was considered as one of the most chaotic times in Ancient Chinese history. It slowly began with the incompetence of the Han Emperor, formally named Emperor Ling of Han. During his reign, he focused his attention on women and lavish living, and allowed the Imperial Court to be ran by a group of corrupt eunuchs, who imposed heavy tax rates on the citizens across the country. This eventually led to the crumble of the Han Dynasty, provoking rebellions to arise, while many officials in various provinces and regions began to lose faith in the Emperor and decided to claim themselves as Warlords in attempt to unify China and establish a new Dynasty! 

full

Gameplay

Summary

This map allows a maximum of 10 players who will experience the lives and hardships of the renown Warlords during this chaotic time. Each Warlord has their own unique advantage, whether it may be income, position, special units, heroes, events...etc. Players will need to decide on their own diplomatic relationships in the game, and slowly expand their lands until the entire China is unified into one single colour. Different regions will offer a different set of Generals to be recruited, as well as unique special units to be enlisted. Thus, one will need to capture additional lands to gain access to more advantages. 

full

Units

This map features 25 unique units that can be trained; however as mentioned above, you will have to conquer the entire China, in order for the 25 unique units to become accessible. Each individual unit in the map can be countered, so it will be up to the players to figure out the entire counter system. However, there are of course tooltips present to guide the basics of the unit counter system. For instance, Pikemen counter Cavalries, Imperial Guards counter Archers, Ranged counters Artilleries.. and so on.

full

full

Heroes

The heroes in the map is divided into 6 different classes: Leaders, Strategists, Ranged Generals, Melee Strength Generals, Melee Agility Generals. Each hero class has an unique set of abilities. The hero abilities are made quite straightforward, and mainly fall under auras and passives. In addition, to make each hero much more unique aside from the unique custom models, most heroes have their own unique default passive. Efforts were made to avoid active damage spells for balancing sakes. The hero attributes are scaled based on the stats provided by the game, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII.

full

Income System

Like many strategy maps in Wc3, the main income source is based on the numbers of cities owned by the player. Similarly, different types of cities will provide a slightly different amount of income. There exists 6 different types of cities: Minor City < Developed City < Major City < Capital City < Imperial Palace. The type of each city is determined based on the prosperity of the cities during 190AD in China, which also mimics the game, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII. In addition to city income, players can also train tax collectors which are available from marketplaces of each city, to collect gold from vaults. Other income options also include capturing Sea Control Points, Investing in Farmlands/Trade Markets, or simply trading resources at marketplaces.

full

full

Terrain and Structures

As this map takes place during the 190AD in Ancient China, it is essential for players to instantly get a very strong feel of the traditional Chinese culture, when they enter into the game world. Hence, extensive model searches were done in attempt to mimic the Ancient Chinese World, which include specific Tree doodads, Buildings, Units..etc. 

full

full

Events

As a gamer myself, I do notice that simply producing armies, capturing cities and warring against enemies do get boring and repetitive at times. So, a key feature of this map is the Special Events that are not commonly seen in traditional RTS custom maps in Wc3. These events are present to serve a few purposes such as introducing additional objectives for players to complete, encouraging players to follow the historical paths, and adding depth to the complexity of the map. There are three different types of events that can occur: Random Events, Historical Events, Player-Specific Events. Random and Historical events will occur naturally and does not require player intervention, while Player-Specific Events require specific players to satisfy a given condition, in order to trigger the event occurrence.

To list a few events:

1. Random Events

• Hero Illness
  • Pirates
  • Bandits

2. Historical Events

• Blood Letter by Han Emperor
  • Rescuing Han Emperor
  • Emergence of White Bengal Tiger

3. Player-Specific Event

• Establishment of Wei, Shu, Wu Dynasty
  • Finding of Imperial Seal
  • Battle of Guan Du
  • Assassination of Dong Zhuo
  • Oath of Peach Garden

full

full

Please leave any reviews, comments, or questions below, as they are more than welcome and very important! However, leave any suggestions or ideas in the suggestions section of the subforum. Finally, many thanks for taking the time to read this brief introduction for my map in development!

Credits

ROTK Team

• vayne[swe]
  • EmperorOtto
  • Marshmello
  • LeClaw

Models

• Goblin Academy
  • Chaos Realm
  • Hive Workshop
  • AKE Warcraft III Models

Original Map By

• Seprinth
  • LordSquishy

Tremendous thanks to LordSquishy for dedicating this space to promote this map!

As one of the Map Testers, I have seen alot of good things and bad things.Me being a Dynasty Warrior fan found similarity between the two maps so I liked the map simply because of that but there are more reasons.

The good things about this map:335396543072829440.png.eb1e11703b1992e858ff3afc0afb34c2.png

• A good selection of Heroes serving under a specific Lord.
  • Balanced Kingdoms, some may not agree to this but every kingdom can counter every other kingdom's own advantages thus making it balanced.
  • The models of the Heroes and Units themselves are quite fantastic for a wc3 map.
  • The terrain itself is great.
  • The map itself has its own uniqueness especially with the Japenese Army in China.

The bad things about this map:335396543072829440.png.eb1e11703b1992e858ff3afc0afb34c2.png

• Some of the Kingdoms have a location advantage than the others but you cant really do anything about it as the map is finite.
  • The map creator needs to put more time into the map even if its little per time even if it is a minor bug or minor problem and not only put effort into it when something major is needed
  • Lack of events and the events are not quite needed in this map but I feel there should be a developing side in this map and not just invading cities.

If all those bad things about the map I listed was heard and was given action off. This map would be great

As the map it is currently, I'd give it a 8/10 as I know there are more improvements to be done but aren't being done.335396543072829440.png.eb1e11703b1992e858ff3afc0afb34c2.png

Edited by Marshmello

Squishy   

Having recently played this in single player mode as well as in public-setting. This map has tremendously improved since last I worked on it. I approve everything that's being done on this map.

I would only recommend that this map needs to have more events for each individual player instead of the 3 major kingdoms. I would also recommend coming up with a solution to the open-ally system abuse.

Example: You can take a persons building without unallying them. The problem with that is, you can literally move an army at somebodies capital, and camp it. Obviously this is completely frowned upon, but I guarantee people will still do it. 

I agree, the exploits in this game must be fixed especially the one you're talking about and this surrender exploit where the vassal can just "betray" when its not a feature and surrender has no benefit at all if the vassal doesnt do anything to help you but instead "betrays" you

hi1   

Wow! Thanks for the great inputs! Your concerns will definitely be addressed in the coming version, which will include vassal tributes and prevention of neutral team killing. :D

Vayne   

After playing the map for some time now here is a short review:

Pros:

*fantastic models for heros and units, its almost 100% custom models in ROTK which add alot more feeling to the game.

*The map is "ok" balanced unit wise, everyone can get all units in the map.

* Alot of special units make the game more fun to play.

*Every game will end different then the other as there no set way to play, what happened in game A probably wont happen in game B which add alot more mix too the game.

Cons:

*Some kingdoms start at a better location then others which give them a advantage however its not something you really can fix.

*Some kingdoms needs more events as the lack of events for that kingdom make it boring to play 

Neutral(both good and bad depending on the person):

*Heros skills are not as most other RTS maps its mostly passives.

*You can ally anyone at start of the game to make it 2v1.

How the map is right now i would give it a 8/10, its a great map to play and enjoy with friends.

Edited by Vayne

Boyzilla   

Here everyone is, reviewing, critiquing, giving pros and cons and even rating the map.

I'm just like "New map! I had fun, it's good in my opinion."

Ain't like this is a review board of anything, it's an introduction in a rp community group, xD.

Not HIVE... Though HIVE has asshole reviewers in my opinion...

hi1   

Hahaha I requested for the reviews/opinions, so people can get a better understanding of the current state of the map, rather than just reading about what I post! :D

hi1   

Receiving positive feedbacks and support from the community and other players really do motivate me to continue to bring more contents/updates to the map :D plus map making can be quite addicting at times heh.

Boyzilla   
1 hour ago, hi1 said:

Receiving positive feedbacks and support from the community and other players really do motivate me to continue to bring more contents/updates to the map :D plus map making can be quite addicting at times heh.

You said it! I know the feeling all to well!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.